Minnehaha Communion Lutheran Church is dedicated to providing a secure and loving environment for children to grow strong in Christ. We believe that before children can learn about the faith, they first must feel secure and loved.
Minnehaha Communion Lutheran Church has been trained through the FaithTrust Institute’s Safe and Healthy Congregations program and is in the process of implementing its guidelines throughout the Sunday school. Background checks, boundary and abuse awareness are all a part of becoming a safe place for youth. To learn more, go to www.faithtrustinstitute.org.
Our hope, healing and wholeness initiative is active in our youth education through current education practices:
- Quiet space in education area for children who may be anxious
- Fidgets cart that carries an assortment of items that can help a child feel calm (squeeze balls, stretchy toys, etc.)
- Sunday school that focuses more on relational goals than learning targets
- Kids Korner space in the worship area that includes quiet activities for the children and a rocking chair for parents or guardians with young children
- Nursery In addition to safe and fun toys, our nursery includes interesting books and puzzles that introduce the children to Biblical stories and to God’s love. The nursery staff is happy to read children stories and encourage joyful play. The staff has been trained in infant and child CPR and emergency procedures.
- Confirmation (6th grade and up) is exploring the topic of “Real Relationships,” using Holy Scripture and the Apostles’ Creed to notice both healthy and unhealthy qualities. We also are practicing good relationship skills, focusing on the Christian’s call to share God’s love.